Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, June 13, 2013

Size Matters



I enjoy fresh seasonal fruit on my breakfast cereal, especially strawberries in early summer and peaches in late summer.  The other morning I was slicing strawberries onto my Wheaties.  It took just two strawberries to cover the whole bowl.

That's just unnatural.  A good local, ripe, juicy strawberry is a wonderful thing, and a fairly small thing, with a diameter approximately that of a quarter.  Sadly, it's also getting harder and harder to find the real deal.  You sure as hell can't get 'em at Krogers -- they sell strawberries with the size and texture of baseballs.


Chicken breasts have gone similarly gargantuan.  It used to be that a chicken breast filet was a bit smaller than your hand.  Now the fine genetic engineers at Perdue and Tyson have somehow made them bigger than King Kong's hand, and just about as tasty.

Attention, Wal Mart shoppers!  Size matters, and bigger is not always better.

No comments:

Post a Comment