Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, June 7, 2013

Mal De Mer

Some people love cruise ships, and it's easy to see why -- the open water, the tropical ports of call, the romance.  Not to mention power outages, fires, rogue waves, viral diarrhea, missing passengers presumed overboard, and ships running aground and capsizing.  It's not just a vacation, it's an adventure!

The two biggest cruise line operators, Carnival and Royal Caribbean, have increased the total number of berths to over 300,000 on their combined 143 ships.  Their average cruise liner carries 2,100 people -- a small town crammed cheek-by-jowl into a floating pathogen tube, with everyone waiting in line for everything.

I've never been on a cruise.  Some say I don't know what I'm missing.  I say I'd like to keep it that way.




No comments:

Post a Comment