Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Aunt Babs


Her given name was Katherine. She referred to herself as Karen. In our family, she was always, for some reason, "Babs". Never married, Aunt Babs served in the Coast Guard in WW II, and for decades worked as a school teacher. She was a dedicated tea drinker who filled her small apartment with books, tea cups and various "little things". She was tall, thin and spoke with a sort of lilting East Coast patrician inflection. Babs was regally unpretentious, if there can be such a thing. She died last week in Baltimore at the age of 90, pretty much the last of the Mohicans of my parents generation.

A few years ago, she sent me a copy of a 50-page memoir she had written about her very early years. She titled it "Born In The Jazz Age". It's marvelous. In her honor, here's the opening paragraph:
__________________________________________________________


I arrived in 1922 to find a rather large family already settled into its marching positions. Two burgeoning Flappers at the top led the parade in red, unblotted lipstick and cloche hats tilted over their spit curls. (They spent a lot of time looking into mirrors, adjusting those tilts.) Innumerable brothers, known to the neighborhood as the Jacobsen Clan, filled out the middle -- all tall (or going to be tall), all good-looking, and all called Jake. When the telephone rang and a voice asked, "Is Jake there?", you had to go through a roll call of their more elegant-sounding family names, which Mother preferred, to find the right one, and then the voice would say, "Yeah, Bryce DuVal-whatever, that one." On this rather crowded ladder, I was at the bottom. "A very sickly child," said Mother. "We had a hard time getting you to talk." It was the same year King Tut's tomb was found and his mummified body taken to Cairo, and though we had little else in common, it was always a comfort to know that His Majesty the Pharaoh and I shared a profound silence at the new world opening before us.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Buster,

    I've been researching my Jacobsen roots and serendipitously chanced upon your fascinating blog. Aunt Babs was my great-aunt owing to the fact that I am your Aunt Podie's granddaughter. I'm terribly intrigued by the fact that Aunt Babs wrote her memoirs, as I used to revel in the tales which she used to tell about herself and our family. Would I be imposing if I were to ask you if you could please send me a copy online? At your convenience, please reply to me at jeannette.sasscer@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete