Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, April 16, 2012

Go Hilary! You Go, Girl!



W.C. Fields famously said, "Never trust a man who doesn't drink."

On a diplomatic mission to Colombia, Secretary of State Hilary Clinton cut loose by having a beer and doing a little impromptu party dance with staff members. Good for you, Hilary! Undoubtedly, some prudish critics will give her hell for it, but they're off base. It's natural and healthy to let off a little steam now and then, especially for the leaders of the most powerful country in the world (who build up more steam than most of us). And it makes our leaders seem like normal human beings.

President Obama had his D.C. Beer Summit, and he downed a pint of Guiness when he travelled to Dublin. If that's OK for him (and it is), then it's OK for Hil to knock back a cerveza and do her woo-woo dance on her trip to Cartagena.

Let us add a corollary to Fields' adage: "Never trust a Secretary of State who doesn't drink."

Speaking of drinking, do Mormons drink? Officially, I mean? Does the church permit it? I bet not. Can you picture Willard The Glove and Queen Ann The Common Woman kickin' back on the old Barca-Lounger with a couple PBR's? Nah, neither can I.

And I know I'm getting a little quote-happy, but I'll leave you with one little anecdote about politicians and alcohol:

Once, at a formal state dinner, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill consumed numerous brandies and was blotto. A high-toned English lady was displeased, and huffed at him, "You, sir, are drunk!" Churchill replied, "That's perfectly true, Madam, but in the morning I shall be sober, and you will still be ugly."

No comments:

Post a Comment