Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, March 5, 2012

My Best Friend For Another Day Or So


Ohio is a "battleground" state (how'd we ever get so lucky?), and tomorrow is "Super Tuesday". For a couple weeks, we've been inundated by campaign workers, fliers, mailers, and of course, thoroughly despicable TV ads.

The number of 3rd-party-sponsored ads has mushroomed, thanks to unlimited spending by so-called Super-PACS. These uniformly horrible ads prove one thing -- goofy old billionaires may have shit-pots of money, but they're a little light on brains. Foster Friese has given tens of millions to Icky Ricky Santorum, and Sheldon Adelson says he'll "invest" up to $100 million in Newt Gingrich. Newt! For a couple of rich dudes, those are two bad bets.

Locally, I've been "re-districted" and my soon-to-be-former Congressman Steve Stivers and my soon-to-be-new Congressman Pat Tiberi are having a contest to see which of them can run the more treacly, faux-patriotic TV ad. Stivers is still wearing his Army helmet and showing off his little daughter as he tells us what he's doing "as we face these dark days" (with the Dark Man in the White House). Tiberi's still showing old home movies of his Italian immigrant parents as he assures us he's "battling Obama's liberal agenda." (Like immigration reform?)







Both these ads make me puke, so the contest is a tie. Tiberi and Stivers are both incumbent Republicans, and they're a pair of tools. Neither has any serious primary opposition, and both are assured of reelection in November. Why are they even bothering to run ads now?

For another day or so, whenever the TV is on, my thumb will be working the mute button. After Tuesday, I hope I can give it a rest for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment