Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, March 6, 2012

6 Things Rich People Should Stop Saying


(Sent by a faithful reader. Thank you, Faithful Reader.)


Excerpted from an article by David Wong, published 3/5/12 on Cracked.com
For the full article, go to Buster's Links. It's a worthwhile read!
_______________________________________________________


If you're somehow both rich and reading an article with this title, you're probably thinking, "What the hell? I didn't crash the economy!" You might even be tempted to defend yourself and your wealthy friends. But before you open your mouth, I want you to stop and ask yourself, "Will saying these sort of things make me sound like an out-of-touch douchebag?"



6. "Well, $500,000 a Year Might Sound Like a Lot, but I'm Hardly Rich."
"Look at how tiny my yacht is!"










5. "Hey, I Worked Hard to Get What I Have!"
"The only reason I have a hundred times more money than you is because I work a hundred times as hard!"









4. "If I Can Do It, So Can You!"
"Since everyone at my country club makes good money, it can't be that hard to do."












3. "You're Just Jealous Because I Made It and You Didn't!"
When we hate people, it's always for the same reason: Not because they're rich or powerful, but because they refuse to acknowledge that their power brings with it any responsibility. It's why we hate bullies and dictators and supervillains. It's why we hate people who benefit hugely from society and then pretend like they're living on an island with a population of only them.




2. "You Shouldn't Punish the Very People Who Make This Country Work!"
You're not a tall person who the dwarfs are jealously trying to cut down to size. You're a tall person being asked to get something down from a very tall shelf because nobody else can fucking reach it.










1. "Stop Asking For Handouts! I Never Got Help From Anybody!"
So ... you were never a child? From birth, you were hunting and gathering your own food? You never had a mother give you a milk "handout"? You're completely self-educated? At age 4, you sought out your own knowledge, and paid teachers out of your own pocket?



(Read the whole thing. It's funny and insightful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment