Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, September 3, 2017

Walter Becker


I don't think one ought to have literal, singular favorites -- you know, a one and only favorite food, song, movie, book, place, etc.  There's so much good stuff out there.  Why limit yourself to one, when there are so many?

Yet whenever I'm asked for my favorite band/musical group, without hesitation I always say "Steely Dan."  True, I do have plenty of musical favorites of many eras and genres.  But if I had to pick one, the Dan will do for me.  Led by old college buddies Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, and backed by an ever-changing collection of stellar jazz, rock and soul musicians, Steely Dan launched in 1972, writing and performing some of the tastiest tracks ever recorded -- catchy, unusual tunes with complex harmonies and obscure, referential lyrics alternating between darkness and humor.  I have every Steely Dan studio album ever released.

Co-founder Walter Becker, guitarist and bassist, died today at age 67.  Too soon.  Farewell, Walter.

Can't pick just one favorite Steely Dan song.  Let's just try this one -- Pretzel Logic, from the album of the same name, 1974:

I stepped upon the platform,
The man gave me the news.
He said, "You must be joking, son.
"Where did you get those shoes?"






No comments:

Post a Comment