Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, September 17, 2017

Judge Roy Bean


Judge Roy Bean (1825-1903) was a real-life Texas character who ran a saloon, was a Justice of the Peace, and called himself "The Law West of the Pecos."

In the 1972 movie "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean," he was memorably potrayed by Paul Newman as an amusing, eccentric scoundrel.


"I know the law, having spent the better part of my life in its flagrant disregard."

"This will become a good place to live, with law and order.  And peace -- especially peace, and I don't care who I have to kill to get it."


In reality, Bean was a crude drunk, a liar, a bigot, a con man, an opportunist, and a publicity hound.  Rather reminiscent of our fake president, I'd say.


No comments:

Post a Comment