Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pot-Head = Rot-Head?


"Well, they've finally proved what I've always said."  And what's that?  "That marijuana use causes loss of I.Q."

So said a friend recently.  He's prone to such vainglorious pronouncements, which I routinely ignore.

If that's really what he's "always said," there's no "proof" that he's correct.  There are a couple studies indicating that heavy marijuana use in early adolescence may have some small but lasting effect on mental acuity.  The key word is "may."  (Also "heavy" and "adolescence".)  The connections are tenuous.  Most research has found no long-term impact on the brain from using marijuana.  Short-term euphoria, yes.  Long-term damage, no.

Don't misunderstand.  I'm not recommending marijuana use, and experience teaches that while under the influence of weed, decision-making and thought processes are not at their best.  And it's still technically illegal in most places.  I'm just saying that pot doesn't make you permanently stupid.

What I found most amusing about the comment was that it was made and was being discussed among a group of us regular drinkers who had gathered for a cocktail party.  And as we all know, alcohol always make you smarter!  Hell, after my third martini I'm a veritable MENSA member.




No comments:

Post a Comment