Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I'd Say She's Done A Lot


I love my friends.  Some of my friends are acutely conservative, which only goes to show that I'm an equal-opportunity kinda guy, able to tolerate large quantities of baloney in the service of polite social discourse.

So four of us are standing around at someone's graduation party last Saturday night.  It was near midnight, and beer had been involved.  Somehow, the topic of Hillary Clinton came up. (I swear it wasn't me.)

The lovely Mrs. Gammons said something positive about Mrs. Clinton as a Presidential candidate.  The one R in our small circle of the moment, a guy I genuinely like, who has a multitude of redeeming qualities, but whom I sometimes refer to as "Little Rush", responded predictably -- with volume and anger.  (You learn that early from conservative squawk radio and TV -- when in doubt, get loud and shout 'em down.)  

"Hillary Clinton?" roared Little Rush.  "You wouldn't be stupid enough to vote for her, would you?  What has Hillary Clinton ever done?"  He also made some derogatory statement about her ankles, of all things.  Ankles?

It was late, I was dead-tired and in no mood to engage.  We split for home.

But now I'd like to reply.  Little Rush, your clear implication was that Hillary Clinton was somehow lacking in Presidential qualifications, that she has done nothing.

Hillary Clinton is a graduate of Wellesley College (and its only student commencement speaker) and the Yale Law School.  She was a partner in a law firm, the First Lady of Arkansas, the First Lady of the United States, a U.S. Senator, a Democratic Presidential primary candidate, and the U.S. Secretary of State.

That's a fairly hefty resume, Sport.  If that's unqualified, if that's doing "nothing," then I'm the friggin' Queen of England!  And who, from your undisclosed location under the Fox Dome, do you offer as a better, more qualified, done-something candidate?

Rand Paul?  Chris Christie?  Marco Rubio?  Paul Ryan?  Ted Cruz?  Mitt Romney (again)?  Scott Walker?  Rick Perry?  Mike Huckabee?  Bobby Jindal?  Icky Ricky Santorum?  Jeb (Another) Bush?

Te-hee!  In the timeless words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious!!  LOL!      

No comments:

Post a Comment