Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, September 12, 2013

Is Soccer Really That Popular?


This Tuesday the lovely Mrs. Gammons was travelling for business and planned to spend the night in the Cleveland area.  It's a regular trip for her, and she finds it convenient to stay in the Brook Park vicinity, near I-71 and I-480.  She's never felt the need to make reservations.

She called me Tuesday night to report that she was there but was driving all over the place trying to find a hotel room.  Every place she tried was sold out, and the front desk clerks were clueless as to why.  She wondered if it might be because of an Indians game.  I wish, but not likely, my dear.

Eventually, the clerk at yet another place with no vacancies told her it was because of the soccer game that night . . . in Columbus, over 100 miles away.  Yes indeed, on Tuesday night Crew Stadium was host to a World Cup qualifying match between Mexico and the USA.  Not being much on soccer, I was only vaguely aware of it, but for all serious futbol fans, it was a genuinely big-ass deal.  The hotel clerk said that virtually every hotel from there south to Columbus had been sold out for months, because of the soccer game.

Soccer's that popular?  Who knew?  And while I doubt that the big match was the sole reason for all the booked hotels (and I'm certain the Indians had nothing to do with it), the lovely Mrs. Gammons spent the night in Vermillion.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  (Vermillion was home to Charley McGarvey's, one of my mother's favorite restaurants.  Wonder if it's still there.)

By the way, the U.S. defeated Mexico 2-0 to clinch a spot in the World Cup tournament.  Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment