Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Racism? by Dave Girves


(Dave Girves is a local blogger buddy who often writes in the form of letters to the editor. You can always find him in Buster's Links, but Dave had a couple inspired posts today -- this and the one that follows below -- that I just had to share in this manner. Good stuff, Dave!)
_____________________________________________________

FYI . . . Sometimes I just can’t help myself. These letters just write themselves.

Letters to the Editor

Columbus Dispatch,

Bruce Richardson, in his June 5th letter praising Fox news for linking President Obama to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s views, asks “What can be more racist than Obama creating an ‘African Americans for Obama’ re-election organization . . . to help him get re-elected?”

Off the top of my head I can think of two things that are more racist – Richardson writing that letter and the Dispatch’s decision to print it.

In that same letter he refers to George Zimmerman as “the suspect” in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. It is either the height of political correctness, or the depth of simply more racism, to refer to the man who admitted to pulling the trigger as “the suspect.”

David Girves

No comments:

Post a Comment