Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hey Cuz, This Is Pretty Lame


Cousin Barry, what are you thinking? I know you're a compromiser and a centrist and a political animal, but this I just don't get.

I refer, of course, to President Obama's surprising decision to disregard EPA recommendations, reverse his own course, and halt the impending strengthening of air pollution rules. He will now leave in place until 2013 Dubya's dubious 2006 weakening of the rules. (The EPA director has called these current rules "indefensible.")

Obama tried to rationalize this by saying he could not justify changing the rules now only to have them reviewed again in just two short years.

Now, I am by no stretch of the imagination a really "green", environmentally aware person. I should do better, and I'm trying. But even though I lack true "tree-hugger" cred, I think Cousin Barry's explanation is pretty fuckin' lame.

If it's important to regulate toxic emissions and have rules in place to reduce/eliminate them, then why let things slide for another two years? How can more pollution instead of less be a good thing? We have only one planet and it isn't going to get bigger. If we allow more poisonous shit to be spewed into the air for the next two years, we don't get those two years back and that shit doesn't magically disappear. It just takes us that much further and faster down the road to ruin.

Cuz, you're a good man, but this was a bad call and it makes you look weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment