Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jesus Is His Brother . . . And You're Not


My grandmother always taught me that politics and religion should never be discussed in polite company. Pretty good advice. (Doesn't apply to Buster's Blog, but I figure you're here by choice.) And it's particularly good advice if you happen to be a politician.

Evidently, the new governor of the state of Alabama disagrees. This Monday, at his swearing-in ceremony, here's what came out of Robert Bentley's mouth: "Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother. If the Holy Spirit lives in you, that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too."

Huh? His comments were unprovoked and appropos of nothing. They certainly had nothing to do with becoming governor. He said the spirit moved him and he couldn't help himself. Hallelujah! Gov. Bentley also promised that at his next speech, he would handle snakes and speak in tongues.

In the photo above, Bentley shows us how he'd "smite the heathen non-believers", as called for in the Alabama Revised Code.

Suddenly, Kasich looks good by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment