Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, January 22, 2011

Michele Bachmann, Madwoman of Minnesota





Michele Bachmann is a Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota. An actual, genuine U.S. Representative. I cannot explain how the good people of the Gopher State allowed this to happen, because there's no one out there who can top her for embarrassingly ignorant statements. Maybe Palin on a really good/bad day.

A sampling of bizarre logic and bat-shit crazy, straight from Bachmann's small, bent brain directly to her mouth:

"No one that I know disagrees with natural selection — that you can take various breeds of dogs ... breed them, you get different kinds of dogs," she said. "It's just a fact of life. ... Where there's controversy is (at the question) 'Where do we say that a cell became a blade of grass, which became a starfish, which became a cat, which became a donkey, which became a human being?' There’s a real lack of evidence from change from actual species to a different type of species. That's where it's difficult to prove."

"Gay marriage is probably the biggest issue that will impact our state and our nation in the last, at least, thirty years. I am not understanding that."

"[Terry Schiavo] was healthy. There was brain damage, there was no question. But from a health point of view, she was not terminally ill."

"And what a bizarre time we're in, when a judge can say to little children that you can't say the Pledge of Allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it."

"I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970's that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design."

"Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas."

"Normalization (of gayness) through desensitization. Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second-graders, is take a picture of "The Lion King" for instance, and a teacher might say, 'Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?' The message is, I'm better at what I do because I'm gay."

"If we took away the minimum wage -- if conceivably it was gone -- we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level."

"I just take the Bible for what it is, I guess, and recognize that I am not a scientist, not trained to be a scientist. I'm not a deep thinker on all this. I wish I was. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm not a scientist."

No comments:

Post a Comment