Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, August 23, 2010

Rock or Rocking Chair?


Back in the mid-1970's, during the most misspent portion of my misspent youth, I attended several all-day rock & roll shows at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. These Belkin Bros. productions were called "The World Series of Rock" and all the big names of the day were eager to play this sort of mini-Woodstock venue. At one time or another in that cavernous old ballpark I saw Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Eric Clapton, Santana, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Rod Stewart, Todd Rundgren, Uriah Heep, Aerosmith, Edgar Winter, and I'm sure many others that have since faded from memory.

One band I saw up there twice was Blue Oyster Cult. They were never the headliner, but they were at the time one of the stalwart FM radio groups, with hits like Burnin' For You, Godzilla, and Don't Fear The Reaper (which we always sang as "Don't fear the reefer"). Definitely a great arena-rock band.

So it's with a combination of sadness and amusement that I note that the BOC, former rock gods, will stage a free-admission show this upcoming Saturday afternoon at the Obetz Zucchini Festival. I shit you not. Zucchini. Obetz. Free.

To preserve my rose-colored memories, I plan on not being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment