Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, February 16, 2013

Comment To My Ohio Reps, Portman's Reply, A Video He Should Watch



A few days ago, I sent the following comment to the U.S. congressmen who represent me, Rep. Pat Tiberi (R), Sen. Sherrod Brown (D), and Sen. Rob Portman (R):

I am a constituent.  I am strongly in favor of federal bans on military/assault weapons, semi-automatic weapons, and high capacity ammo clips/magazines.  I am strongly in favor of universal background checks for all firearms purchases, and the establishment of a federal registry of all known firearm owners.  I hope you favor these things as well. 

I strongly support the Brady Campaign, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Americans For Responsible Solutions (the new Giffords/Kelly advocacy group).  I hope you support them too. 

I am adamantly opposed to the NRA’s dishonest leadership and their lobbying and legislative tactics.  I hope you also oppose the NRA, and I sincerely hope that you will henceforth refuse all contributions from the NRA, financial and other, to your office and to your future campaigns. 

If you accept contributions from the NRA, I cannot support you.   The NRA is political poison.  It’s time to do the right thing.  As Gabby Giffords said, “You must act.  Be bold.  Be courageous.”
 
Thank you.


I heard back from all three. 

Sen. Brown said that while he is not in favor of a general ban on all firearms, he essentially agrees with me. 

Rep. Tiberi gave me a polite tap dance.  He said the problem is crazy people (not how easily crazy people can get guns).  He said we should enforce existing laws (but avoided any mention of gun show/private sales loopholes).  He acknowledged that half the states don't send mental health records to federal databases as required (but didn't say he was going to do something about that).  He closed by saying "This is a matter I take very seriously."  I wish I could believe him.

Sen. Portman had an unctuous reply that immediately changed the subject from my thoughts on gun control into Robbie's thoughts on Obama's supposed attack on the 2nd Amendment.  Here it is in its entirety, now adorned with my smart-aleck insertions:

 
Dear Robert, 

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about the President's gun control proposals.  [I wasn't talking about the President's proposals, just my own opinions.]  It is good to hear from you.

As you know, President Obama recently issued 23 executive actions and endorsed gun control legislative initiatives following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

I had hoped President Obama would look to address the root causes of senseless acts of violence and work with Congress to develop a comprehensive plan to lessen the likelihood of these kinds of tragic incidents in the future. [Universal background checks and bans on assault weapons and high capacity magazines are not comprehensive enough for you?]   Unfortunately, the President has chosen to act unilaterally wherever he can and focus on new gun bans which I believe would undermine the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.  [Adam Lanza's law-abiding mom kept a law-abiding paramilitary arsenal at her goddam law-abiding house!  How about the rights of the law-abiding first graders and their law-abiding teachers who were slaughtered with these legal guns?  When do the rights of the innocent trump the 2nd Amendment rights of killers?] 

In response to tragic attacks like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary, I remain committed to ensuring that those who suffer from mental illness, a common thread in these instances, receive proper care, that current gun laws are enforced, and that school safety is enhanced [the President's proposals are at least a start in this direction] as we address the deeper issue of violence in our society.  [OK Robbie, you go ahead and think deep thoughts.  The rest of us will be trying to get high-kill military-grade weapons off our streets and out of our society ASAP.]

Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, please visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov . Please keep in touch.

 
You'll note that Robbie had not a word to say about the NRA.  That's because Robbie ranks 2nd among current Senators in accepting NRA campaign contributions.  Robbie is a tool.  He needs to watch this short video.  Maybe I'll send it to him.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment