Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Big Ten's Epic Fail


After years with 11, the Big Ten Conference will have 12 schools starting next year. Nebraska is the new addition, and it's all about money. The league can split into two divisions and have a conference championship between the division winners (at least for football). Another week of TV revenue! Yippee!

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany announced that the two divisions will be known as "Leaders" and "Legends". Well, puke me! I'm sorry, but those names suck! (Are the Bucks a legend or a leader? I forget.)

The conference did it to itself. Neither of the two divisions have any geographic cohesion, so that rules out "East and West", "North and South". How about "Woody and Bo"? Maybe? I don't know. That sounds pretty contrived as well. I have no sure-fire alternatives, but I'd prefer any of the following names for the two divisions:

A and B
One and Two
This and That
6 Teams and 6 More Teams
Eggs and Bacon
Scotch and Soda

And for institutions of higher learning, many college conferences are pretty bad at basic math and geography. The Big Ten has 12 schools, the PAC Ten has 12, and the Big 12 has 10. The Big East has schools in Ohio, Kentucky, and Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment