Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Friday, May 10, 2013

John McCain, Bundle Buster

Upon rare occasions, I have found myself in agreement with that old coot John McCain:  his position on immigration reform and the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law.  That's about it.

But now old "Straight Talk" has won my heart again by proposing "ala carte" choice in cable TV offerings.  My cable package includes over 300 channels, most of which I do not give a shit about and will never watch.  Yet to get the handful of channels I do care about, I must subscribe to the super-duper, stupid-expensive Platinum 300 level of programming.  For even more money, I can upgrade to the Titanium 450 level and get 50% more useless drivel.

So Sen. McCain and I want to know, "Why can't I just pick the 25-30 channels I really want, pay just for those, skip all the rest and save myself a little money?" 

It's a wonderful, sensible idea, and it will never happen.  ComCast, Time Warner, U-Verse, et al, do much better for themselves in the current set up than they would in an ala carte world.  The telecom giants will fight  vigorously and spend lavishly to maintain their status quo.


Remember when cable TV deregulation was going drive down our prices and increase our options?  Jesus, did we get snookered on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment