Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, January 4, 2016

Sometimes, I Despair


Expensive and unnecessary
What can I say about a person who keeps posting different Facebook memes about wanting to drug-test those on public assistance?  (He says his posts will "make people talk and react hopefully in a good way."  What good way would that be?)

I could say all sorts of things -- about a conservative pissing contest, a punitive "solution" to a non-existent problem, the mistaken fear that the poor are living well at our expense, the limits of a bumper-sticker mentality, etc.  But I won't say those things.  (See what I did there?  It's the Trump technique, saying what I won't say.)

Instead, I give up and look to the skies in despair.  What will the future hold for us if slogans and uninformed rubbish can pass for thought and reason and discourse?  Is it possible to become even dumber?

Patience and tolerance are virtues, and I possess my fair share.  But at a certain point, I can suffer fools no longer.  Gettin' close to that point.
_______________________________________

(The same stuff, from just a few months ago.  My friend ought to re-read it.)
http://bustergammons.blogspot.com/2015/06/still-liking-and-sharing-without.html


No comments:

Post a Comment