Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, March 12, 2012

Song Of The South


Buster is comin' at ya from his bivouac deep in the heart of the Deep Red South, a.k.a. the Florida Panhandle, a.k.a. the Redneck Riviera. A little roadtrip with the lovely Mrs. Gammons.

Down here, freeway billboards say things, seriously, like, "God Bless America!" (petitioning the Lord with mass media) and "Go To Church!" (featuring a red devil with a scythe, illustrating the result of staying home).

And with typically exquisite timing, we're down here in time not only for cold and rainy weather, but also for the Alabama and Mississippi Republican primaries. I get see to see all the same shitty Romney/Santorum/Gingrich ads I saw at home last week! And the local R's bring some serious game to their contests: "My opponent is an asshole conservative, but not nearly as much as I am!!"

I'll paraphrase a comment from the late great George Carlin:

"Think about how stupid the average American voter is, and then realize half the voters are even stupider than that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment