Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, April 26, 2012

Aspirational Republicanism


Like most, I dislike confrontation, so I usually steer clear of political discussions. (Blogging, obviously, is a little different.) Occasionally, though, it can't be helped, and when I get sucked into a debate with a rightard, my favorite snappy line is: "Buddy, you don't have enough money to be a real Republican!"

This will invariably get a chuckle out of even the most rock-headed conservatives, because they know it's pretty much true. But they'll often reply along the lines of "Nothing wrong with trying, is there? A guy can hope, right?"

No, nothing wrong with trying, but this sort of muddled thinking leads some folks to intentionally vote against their own economic self-interest. Call them "aspiring Republicans", and their logic goes something like this:

"If I vote like I'm a tycoon and if I support everything the tycoons want, then I'll have a better chance of becoming a tycoon myself."

Okey-dokey. Let me know how that works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment