Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Monday, January 28, 2013

Buster's Top 30 Blonde Bombshells

Two things, utterly unrelated: 

First, I hate lists.  In the internet age, it seems like everybody makes lists about everything every day.  The Top this, the Best that, and so on and so forth, ad nauseumSecond, back in the day, I never had much luck with blonde girls.  Don't know why.  Just the way it was.

So naturally it's time for Buster's List of the Top 30 Blonde Bombshells of American Cinema.

My list is completely subjective.  It has a Golden Age prejudice, given my opinion that true "bombshells" began with the talkies and became extinct somewhere in the 1970's (when I stopped fantasizing about celluloid cuties and started going after some real ones.) 

A couple loose rules apply to my list:

  • A bombshell actress is a "hot mama" with an obvious aura of sexuality.  Marilyn Monroe, yes.  Debbie Reynolds, no.
  • She must be generally known as a blonde.  Ann Margaret and Racquel Welch are certainly bombshells, but not generally blonde.
  • She must have fairly high name recognition.  Sari Maritza and Franciska Gaal (who?) don't make the cut.

Without further ado, here, in chronological order, are Buster's Top 30 Blonde Bombshells of American Cinema.  (Why 30?  It's all I could think of.)

Mae West 1893-1980



Marion Davies 1897-1961

Marlene Dietrich 1901-1992

Constance Bennett 1904-1965


Carole Lombard 1908-1942


Gloria Stuart 1910-2010


Jean Harlow 1911-1937


Lana Turner 1921-1995

 
Veronica Lake 1922-1973

Lauren Bacall 1924 - present

Eva Marie Saint 1924-present


Marilyn Monroe 1926-1962


Janet Leigh 1927-2004


Grace Kelly 1929-1982


Tippi Hedren 1930-present


Anne Francis 1930-2011



Carroll Baker 1931-present


Kim Novak 1933-present


Jayne Mansfield 1933-1967


Brigitte Bardot 1934-present


Ursula Andress 1936-present



Shirley Eaton 1937-present


Elke Sommer 1940-present



Faye Dunaway 1941-present

Julie Christie 1941-present





Britt Ekland 1942-present

Yvette Mimieux 1942-present


Catherine Deneuve 1943-present


Goldie Hawn 1945-present


Farrah Fawcett 1947-2009
 

Like I said, totally subjective, stops in the 70's, and I'm sure I overlooked many worthy candidates. Let the debates begin!   Leave a comment and let me know who should have made the list.  Tell me who's on my list that doesn't belong.

Of course the best bombshell on any list is the lovely non-blonde Mrs. Gammons!

4 comments:

  1. From the 60's and 70's, how about Connie Stevens and Joey Heatherton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Sue Lyon, a.k.a. "Lolita"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for the dizzy blondes that never made top billing.....there were so many different & very pretty ladies....I remember some like Nina Talbot & Julie Nemar....I can't remember names as well as their faces? It will come to me....I hope, soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. good list, i agree with the last comment... julie newmar belongs too.

    ReplyDelete