Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Can He Get In The HOF Now, Please?

Almost two years ago (12/17/10, to be precise), I wrote a post titled "Marvin Miller Should Be In The Baseball Hall Of Fame" Miller was the former head of the baseball players union who led the successful fight to secure free agency and labor rights for those athletes.  As such, he was one the most influential people in all of pro sports, not just baseball.  A genuine historic figure.

In his day, Miller was despised by ownership and management.  After his retirement, he was for decades unfairly denied enshrinement in the Hall of Fame by the Hall's anti-union, good old boy Veteran's Committee. 

But in 2010, he was just a couple votes short of induction, with his next opportunity not until 2013*.  In my post back then, I wrote, "I hope he makes it then, and I hope he's still around to see it."

Marvin Miller died today at age 95.  If there's any justice, he'll finally be inducted into the Hall -- albeit posthumously -- as part of the class of 2013*.  Here's to you, Marvin!

(*Correction -- Miller will again be eligible in 2014, not 2013.)

No comments:

Post a Comment