Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, December 7, 2010

John McCain Can't Handle The Truth!



Recently, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Admiral Mike Mullen testified before a Senate committee and recommended that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" legislation be repealed. The pair said that a comprehensive study of the issue showed conclusively that military attitudes had changed since 1993, and a vast majority of today's servicemen and women simply don't care if some of their fellow soldiers are openly homosexual. It's simply a non-issue, no BFD. (And really, what a silly law it is. There have always been homosexuals in the armed forces, and always will be. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" doesn't prevent gays and lesbians from joining the military, nor does it attempt to remove them from current service. All it does is say please don't tell me about it.)

One Senator at this hearing had clearly not changed his attitude in the past 17 years, and for him, gays in the military was still an unholy BFD. Yep, it was the would-be President, Sen. John McCain (R, Ariz.). The "Maverick" showed his wrinkled old homophobic ass for all the world to see. McCain said all real soldiers want to keep gays out of the military. He told Gates and Mullen their study was shit, and they had no right to draw conclusions because neither was "commanding troops in the field." (Is McCain? Did he ever? As I recall, he spent the Viet Nam War at the Hanoi Hilton. Maybe his Viet Cong captors were gay Commies who constantly taunted him with their flaming Oriental fagginess. Could give a guy a bad attitude.)

McCain also predicted that Marines especially would not tolerate openly gay comrades and would quit the service and walk off the job. Jeez, I didn't know that Marines were so fragile and sensitive: "Sir, yes Sir! I will gladly wear a 100 lb. field pack. I will happily double-time it all day in the hot sun. I love to crawl through the mud on my belly. You can kick me, punch me, torture me, shoot me, but good Gawd, I ain't gonna serve with no homo! It's too scary!"

Buster is so glad that Old Straight Talk is not our President. It's bad enough he opened the Pandora's Box that is Sarah Palin, but having McCain's own bellicose rhetoric coming out of the Oval Office would be just too scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment