Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Don't Let Him Die, Doc! We Gotta Kill Him Next Week."


By now, everyone has heard of our Ohio death row prisoner who tried to commit suicide a couple days before his scheduled execution. Prison officials went to great lengths to revive him and nurse him back to health . . . so they can kill him. Otherwise, you see, he'd be "cheating the hangman" and we can't have that. (Buster fails to see the difference. Dead is dead.)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't care for the death penalty. It's not much of a deterrent, innocent people are sometimes executed, mentally disturbed people are often executed, and it presents us with an ethical dilemma -- killing is wrong, killing is illegal, but if you do it, we'll kill you. That just feels wrong to me. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Now, you may ask if I could be so high-minded if someone close to me were murdered. That's a fair question, and I may very well feel like killin' the fucker who did it. With any luck, I'll never know, and I hope you won't either. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment