Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Tuesday, February 12, 2013

When Is An Apology Not An Apology?

When it's cloaked in the ass-covering, I'm-not-really-sorry qualifier, ". . . if I offended you." 

That's what we got yesterday from Debe Terhar, Tea Bag president of Ohio's State Board of Education.  A couple weeks ago she posted some ignorant gun-nut comments on her Facebook page, one a re-post comparing Obama to Hitler.  For that, she caught a raft of well-deserved shit and calls for her resignation.

Yesterday, she finally came up for air and appeared at the Board's meeting on her future.  Outside the meeting room, protesters again called for her to step down.  (I was invited to join in the booing and hissing, but alas, couldn't be there, except in spirit.)

Inside the room, Debe said she'd be more careful but still insisted that she meant nothing by her post, and said, predictably, "It was never my intention to offend, so to anyone who may have been offended, I apologize."

Smirking a little, don't you think?

Translation:  I said exactly what I intended to say and posted exactly what I intended to post.  It's only those people who disagree with my views who are offended.  So if that's you, Bub, I guess I'm sorry, sort of.  Sorry mostly that I got whipped out for being a dumbass user of social media.  I am not at all sorry for what I actually said, and I'm not sorry for my right-tarded viewpoint which led me to say what I said.  I just sorry I got caught saying it.

Her fellow right-tards rode to her rescue and in a close vote,  Terhar was allowed to keep her job.

She should have been gone.  For the undignified, unjustified, partisan decision to let her stay, I apologize!  I apologize to the rest of America for the backwater bumpkins who are running the show here in Ohio. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment