Welcome to Buster's Blog

Irregular commentary on whatever's on my mind -- politics, sports, current events, and life in general. After twenty years of writing business and community newsletters, fifteen years of fantasy baseball newsletters, and two years of email "columns", this is, I suppose, the inevitable result: the awful conceit that someone might actually care to read what I have to say. Posts may be added often, rarely, or never again. As always, my mood and motivation are unpredictable.

Buster Gammons















Saturday, December 1, 2012

De-Coding Some Conservative "Beliefs"

I've noticed that some conservatives of my acquaintance are very quick to identify certain aspects of modern society that they disagree with by saying something like, "I just don't believe in [                 ]."  You can fill in the blank with words like gay marriage, abortion, welfare, gun control, and taxes.   

These same folks are much less able (or willing) to explain why they hold such "beliefs" -- you often get junk reasons like "That's just how I feel," or "That's how I was raised."

What are their real reasons?  Allow Buster to de-code.  What they really mean is:

"I think gay sex is disgusting and icky."

"Abortion is birth control for sluts, and it's the easy way out.  Too easy for you, slut!"

"People on welfare are just lazy bums and con artists who don't want to work."

"I'm paranoid and need a handgun to protect myself from scary black teenagers in hoodies."

"Taxes cost me money and I'm a cheapskate chiseler who hates to pay a thin dime for anything.  I'd shoplift cart-loads from Kroger's if I thought I could get away with it."

At least it's honest!  It's also prejudiced, immature, uninformed, and mean.  Grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment